Accidents Happen--An Immediate Action Plan
Immediately after every significant incident:
- Take emergency measures to minimize and care for
injury to, discomfort of, and threat to life of patients or personnel (e.g.,
thermal burns, electric shock, contusions, lacerations, fractures, cardiac
arrhythmias, interruption of normal respiration, loss of
- Take appropriate action to minimize damage to
equipment and the environment.
- Notify the attending clinician who has legal
responsibility for the patient.
- Impound all equipment attached or contiguous to the
injured party in the same room or areas. Do not disconnect or change the
relative physical positions of equipment or connecting cables, except as
absolutely necessary to avoid further injury or damage. Retain and preserve
any disposable products that may have been involved (e.g., drapes,
electrodes), as well as their packaging materials.
- Follow ECRI’s Action Plan for Handling
Medical Device Hazards, Recalls, and Internal Incidents.
- Call ECRI, +1 (610) 825-6000, for telephone
assistance or on-site investigation, if needed.