Extinguishing Airway Fires
Review before each
At the first sign of a tracheal
tube fire, immediately and rapidly:
1. Disconnect the breathing circuit from the tracheal tube.
2. Remove the tracheal tube.
- Have another team member extinguish it.
- Remove cuff-protective devices and any segments
of burned tube that may remain smoldering in the airway.
3. Care for the patient.
- Reestablish the airway and resume ventilating
with air until certain that nothing is left burning in the airway; then
switch to 100% oxygen.
- Examine the airway to determine the extent of
damage, and treat the patient accordingly.
Save involved materials and
devices for later investigation.