Care about Your Catheterized Patient: Prevent Urinary Tract Infection (UTI)
- Scrub your hands, drape patient, and don sterile gloves.
- Clean urethral meatus with antiseptic agent.
- Eliminate trauma or leakage by selecting the appropriate catheter
size according to the patient's sex and age.
- Use sterile nonpetroleum lubricant.
- Use sterile technique to insert catheter.
- Get help if catheter will not pass easily.
- When urine begins to flow, advance catheter another 5 cm before
inflating balloon with sterile water or saline.
- Notify patient's physician if there is no urine return.
- Connect indwelling catheter to a sterile closed drainage
- Do not irrigate catheters unless specifically ordered.
- Never clamp catheter without specific order.
- Drainage bag must be hung upright below bladder level whether
patient is lying down or sitting.
Your careful attention to these details can prevent UTI.